Wednesday, 1 June 2016

Anambra state govt says its on top of the recent Nkpor unrest

 
 
BY EJIKE ABANA


State government has refuted reports making the rounds that it issued a shoot at sight directive to police on the recent unrest at Nkpor in Idemili local government area.

The Commissioner for Information and Communication Strategy, Ogbuefi Tony Nnachetta stated this in a press statement to journalists in Awka.

Commissioner Nnacheta who hinted that a peaceful demonstration by MASSOB/IPOB youths was hijacked and turned violent by miscreants, said that according to a police report so far released by the police, twenty four people not indigineous to the State have been arrested with charms, dynamites, machetes and banners of IPOB, saying that the number of casualties are yet to be ascertained.

 

He made it clear that Anambra State government does not have the jurisdiction to issue such shoot at sight directive to the police.

The Commissioner however,regretted that a lot of false figures had been flying around, pointing out that on the issue of St Edmund Catholic Church that was allegedly attacked, no such thing happened.

He enjoined the media to tread with caution while reporting an incident as this.

The Commissioner who maintained that the State government empathizes with those affected, further noted that the government will soon embark on mass reorientation of Anambra Youth.

No comments: